Applying for a Social Security Number – F1 and J1 Students
You must bring the following documents to the Social Security Office to apply
- Passport with F-1 or J-1 visa
- I-20 or DS-2019
- I-94 Card (Small white card stapled into your passport)
- Letter from Immigration Advisor
- Undergraduate: Cranwell International Center
- Graduate: Graduate Student Services
- J-1 students: Sponsor
- Letter from your Employer
- Social Security Application
- Write your name exactly as it is on your passport and other documents. Check to see that your family name and given name are in the correct place on the application.
- Social Security will not deliver your Social Security card if your mailbox does not have your name on it. If your mailbox is not labeled with your name, label it yourself with a piece of paper taped inside or on the mailbox.
Location & Travel
Social Security Office - Roanoke
612 South Jefferson St.
Roanoke, VA 24011
Applicants are received: Monday - Friday (9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- Take the ramp to US-460 E/I-81/Roanoke
- Merge onto US 46- E
- Take the I-81 N/US-460 E ramp to Salem/Roanoke
- Merge onto I-81 N
- Take exit 143 to merge onto I-581 S/US-220 S toward Airport/Roanoke
- Take exit 6 for Downtown/Elm Avenue
- Turn right at the light when you reach the end of the exit ramp
- Turn right onto Jefferson St.
- The Social Security Administration will be ahead on your right
- There is limited free parking next to the building
- At the cross section of Jefferson and Elm there is a Parking Lot
- Center City Parking Garage is located directly across the street from the building
Smart Way Bus
Cost: $4.00 each way (exact change only)
You can take the Smart Way Bus to Roanoke (Campbell Court bus stop) from Squires Student Center on Virginia Tech’s campus. The Social Security Office is on the left a few blocks away at 612 South Jefferson Street.