Involvement Opportunities with Virginia Tech's Cranwell International Center
There are more than 2000 international students from approximately 120 countries at Virginia Tech. Join an exciting team of volunteers who are involved in meeting the mission of Cranwell International Center.
The Cranwell International Center (CIC) is committed to the university's global initiatives and serves as the primary support service provider for the international community. The CIC promotes intercultural exchange, fosters a welcoming environment, and enhances the experience of all university and community participants. The CIC contributes to the university's focus on teaching and learning, research and discovery, and outreach and engagement through our commitment to quality programming, strong advocacy, collaboration, valuable services, and a dedicated facility.
In order to register to volunteer, please complete the following survey.
Orientation activities for newly arriving international students in August and January.
Virginia Tech welcomes hundreds of new international students each August. The Cranwell International Center offers a wide variety of activities that are enhanced by involvement and assistance of community members. These activities might include:
- Hosting a simple meal or cookout for a small group of new students
- Taking a few students shopping
- Participating in social activities sponsored by Cranwell, such as Cookies & Conversation
- Helping students move out of temporary housing into their permanent housing
- Serving as a greeter for a shift, held daily, at the welcome center at Cranwell International Center.
Annual Event Assistance
Hospitality and event assistance are needed to implement many of the events that the Cranwell Center sponsors. These might include:
- Event Assistance: International Street Fair in spring and the Dance of Nations in fall, large events sponsored by the Council of International Student Organizations, with assistance from the Cranwell International Center.
- Hospitality Assistance: Hospitality assistance is also helpful for Cranwell Center graduation luncheons in May and December, an orientation potluck welcome dinner in January, and a holiday Dinners in Homes program.
English Conversation Group Facilitator (ECG)
The Cranwell International Center offers weekly English conversation groups with the intention of providing members of the international community with the opportunity to develop their conversation skills. The groups are structured in a manner where information exchange is informal therefore allowing non-native speakers to become comfortable communicating so that they can better navigate daily routines in the U.S. Volunteers are needed to facilitate or co-facilitate weekly one hour classes.