Departmental Resources

We hope you find this information helpful as you guide students in their academic choices and direct them towards appropriate resources. While this serves as a general international student resource, all international undergraduate students should be directed to Cranwell International Center for proper immigration counseling, as each student's case is different and carries heavy implications if incorrectly advised.

IMPORTANT: Violations of any of these rules and/or regulations may result in the termination of the student's SEVIS record!

Full Time Enrollment and Online Credit Hour Policy

F and J visa holders must be enrolled full-time each semester. For all undergraduate students, this is 12 credits. Of those 12 credit hours, at least 9 must be in the classroom.  Any course work in addition to 9 residential credit hours may be taken online

Graduating Students

Students in their last semester of study are permitted to be enrolled less than full time, but must be enrolled in at least 1 course on campus. Students cannot solely be enrolled in an online or distance-learning course their final term.  Students will need permission from Cranwell International Center before dropping below full-time.

Summer Enrollment

Students are not required to be enrolled for summer unless it is their first semester, or they are returning from a break in their studies. Please check with Cranwell International Center for assistance.


All employment needs to be approved through the Cranwell International Center, including internships that are part of course work.  Please contact our office if you have questions or would like clarity on employment regulations.


A withdrawal from classes will usually result in a termination of the student’s immigration record, and the student will be required to leave the US.  Please have students meet with Cranwell International Center before finalizing a Resignation or Withdrawal from the current term.

Travel & Grace Periods

All international students are required to obtain a travel signature before departing the US for breaks. 

After degree completion: 

  • F-1 Students have a 60-day grace period to stay in the US before needing to leave.
  • J-1 Students have a 30-day grace period to stay in the US before needing to leave.